How do I get sub Strafing Into my Muscle Memory?

Umbreonfan

Semi-Pro Squid
It's not a core mechanic of the game like squid rolling so it's hard for me to remember to use it. I'll forget it 30 seconds later once I queue that I can use it.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I strongly recommend practicing it in Salmon Run. It makes for a great learning ground and it's easy to remember to sub strafe while collecting golden eggs near the basket. Once you have it more ingrained in your movement, you can progressively get better at using it to dodge boss salmonids' attacks.

If Salmon Run really isn't your thing (you unemployed failure) then I suppose Hero Mode also works as a safe learning ground.

Hope this helps!

Umbreonfan

Semi-Pro Squid
I strongly recommend practicing it in Salmon Run. It makes for a great learning ground and it's easy to remember to sub strafe while collecting golden eggs near the basket. Once you have it more ingrained in your movement, you can progressively get better at using it to dodge boss salmonids' attacks.

If Salmon Run really isn't your thing (you unemployed failure) then I suppose Hero Mode also works as a safe learning ground.

Hope this helps!
Don't worry. play salmon run plenty I have 999 in hydroplant but that's the only one I got.

DeirdreMega

Inkling
Admittedly I haven’t made a habit of sub strafing either, but sometimes when I’m playing Turf War and I’m not terribly busy in that moment, I randomly practice doing it for a few seconds in a safe spot. It helps refresh my memory that it is, in fact, a movement option available to me and that I can utilize it in situations where I actually will need it.

reelrollsweat

Pro Squid

Hope this helps!
seconding this, i learned both substrafing and squid rolling thru salmon run. i would make a conscious effort to do it while running eggs and after that it just kinda comes naturally

Linneus

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Linneus
Switch Friend Code
SW-4891-1092-0917
It's funny, I play a ton of Salmon Run and am very good at sub strafing in that mode, but... i play nautilus, so i don't really get to do it outside of there

That said, for any kind of habit you want, you should commit to doing it WAY MORE than you think is necessary. Play a match and sub strafe like crazy. Do dances around the map even if you don't think they'll help. Just anything to make that an option in your mind. And if the match ends and you say "oh shi-- i didn't sub strafe AT ALL", then do anything in your power to remember it for the next time!

Ultimately, you're the one who'll have to solve what it is your brain needs to remind you to try out a habit, but... doing it, over and over, is always the key, and accepting "I'm going to be bad at this" is the first step.

Yes, you will throw your sub by mistake sometimes. Yes, you'll try to panic sub strafe in front of someone and fumble it, and you'll forget the inputs in a tense moment and it'll get you splatted... That's ok. Keep doing it.

DVDo

Inkling
I agree with the previous post. Overuse sub strafing for a while, make it nearly every turn you make while swimming. I used to try doing drills in the lobby but had the same issue where once in game I completely forgot to sub strafe. Only after doing this did it start to appear in my games naturally.

Norilla

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1594-5651-4610
Sub Strafing was something I knew about for years, but never used it, but eventually picked up on it during the first Eggstra Work. As a lot of people have been saying already, Salmon Run is a really good place to build a habit of doing. The thing that made me learn it better was using it for 180 turns, such as moving back and forth when putting eggs in the basket.

A tip to make it easier, when it comes to shoulder/trigger buttons, if you have multiple pressed, the game goes with the last one you hit. So once you use the R Button to use your sub, keep it held down and just quickly let go and repress the swim button, and when you're done strafing, let go of R while swimming. It makes it much easier to do, especially when learning it.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
One thing that helped me both with getting both sub strafing and map-checking into my muscle memory was actually just recon-ing clam blitz maps and making a game out of keeping the keeping the enemy basket open as long as possible. Sub strafing helps you gather the clams faster so you start to do it more automatically, and you have to get used to flicking open the map repeatedly to see where the nearest clams are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom